Sunday 21 April 2013

Making the speedometer vector art for DVD label

Making the speedometer
















Above is the finishing vector image of a speedometer which I created myself. Down below are the steps that I took in order to complete this. 

  
Step 1: 
First of all I open up a new page within Adobe Illustrator.  

 













Step 2:
I then go to the rectangle icon on the left hand side panel and go down to the ‘Ellipse Tool’ as this is the tool that I will be using due to me needing circular shapes.  

 

 











Step 3
I then draw out a circle in which I need for the back of the speedometer. 

 














Step 4
I then use the gradient option to select the gradient colours that I wish to have.


 
  













Step 5
I then use the ‘Ellipse Tool’ again to draw another circle but this time makes the circle a little bit smaller than the first one and place on top.
















Step 6
I then choose the colour I wish to have this circle. 

















Step 7
I then repeat the previous step again and this time ensure that the circle is smaller than the circle before and place on top. 

















Step 8
I then choose the colours that I wish this circle to have.
















Step 9:
I then make another circle however make the circle look more like a semi- circle and then place on top of the circles.

















Step 10
I then fill in the shape with the colour that I wish to have

















Step 11
I now going to start creating the dials for the speed on to the speedometer, to do this I need to use the ‘Rectangle Tool’.
  
















Step 12
I then create the rectangle shape and need and fill in the shape with white as this will make the dials stand out on the speedometer. 

















Step 13
I then copy and paste the rectangle I have previously created and rotate to the positions I would like to have them on the speedometer. 















Step 14
I then copy the rectangle shape again however this time I cut it down to make a square and place in between of the larger rectangles. 
















Step 15: 
I then repeat the previous step until I have all that I need. 


 












Step 16:
I have nearly finished the dials for the speed but now I just need to finish off by adding the final dials but this time I need to use the ‘Line Segment Tool’ as the rest of the dials are lines. 
















Step 17
I then create a line in a position I wish to have it. 


 










 

 Step 18: 
I then copy and paste the line and add the lines to where they need to be allocated on the speedometer. 


 












Step 19:
I then change the last few dials to red as this is where the highest speed dials will be allocated. 















Step 20: 
Now that I have successfully created the dials I now need to add the speed numbers on to the speedometer. 


 












Step 21
Before I start to type out the numbers I firstly change the font type to ‘Arial’, I am using ‘Arial’ because this will make the numbers clear and stand out and plus makes the speedometer look more professional too.















Step 22: 
Secondly I then also ensure that the text is bold as well as this will help the numbers stand out on the speedometer. 

 
  












Step 23
I then type out one of speed numbers onto the speedometer. 















Step 24:
I then go to ‘Effect’ and down to ‘Stylize’ and then across to where it says ‘Outer Glow’. I am adding a glow to the speed numbers to add a bit of realism into the image. 
















Step 25:
After clicking the option a box appears in which allows me to be able to select to type of mode I wish to have, the colour of the glow, opacity and the blur. 


  











Step 26:

In this instance I keep the mode the same as this is the type of mode that I wish to have for the speed numbers, I then select the colour white for the numbers to ensure they stand out from the blue background. I also keep the opacity the same as this doesn’t need changing and the blur I  have as 1.76mm as this gives the number a nice gentle white glow and also acts on the realism that I hope to get. 


  













Step 27:


I then copy paste the number and add the other speed numbers that I need to have on the speedometer.


 



















Step 28


Now that I have all the numbers placed on the speedometer. I am now going to make the dial that moves across the speedometer. So I use the ellipse tool again and make small circle and place into the center.
  














Step 29

I then use the ‘Ellipse Tool’ again but this time I make the shape more oval and more looking like a needle.
















Step 30


I then copy and paste the shape I have just previously created and resize the shape to make it smaller and I change the colour. 


 












Step 31

Now that I have completed the dial, I am now going to add the indicator arrows in which will help make the speedometer professional. To do this I firstly go to the right hand panel and go to the symbol icon.














Step 32

After clicking on the icon it then opens up a box where you can select the symbol you wish to have but in this instance the symbol I need isn’t automatically there so I click on the icon at the bottom left hand corner of the box in which then will open the symbol library.













Step 33:
Once the libraries have appeared I then go to and click on the section of ‘Arrows’. 
















Step 34:

Another box then appears of a variety of different arrow styles that you can choose from. The arrow that I choose is ‘Arrow 26’ as this arrow is simple and is the arrow shape that I need. 













Step 35

After clicking it then appears in the first box that appeared after clicking on the ‘Symbol’ icon, I then click the symbol again to add it to the page. 


 








Step 36:
I then resize the arrow and make the arrow have a white outline around the shape again to help it stand out on the speedometer. I then copy and paste the arrow and rotate the arrow till both arrows are aligned with one another but facing the opposite direction.

 

















Step 37:
I then copy one of the numbers that I had made previously and edit it to say ‘MPH’; I did this to ensure that the idea of realism is still there. Also I add a speed on to the black shape. 
















Step 38
Now I am going to add an effect to the dial to make it look like it is moving. To do this I firstly go to the pen tool allocated on the left hand side panel. 


 












Step 39:
I then make a triangle using the pen tool and fill in the shape red. 

















Step 40:
I then move the shape next to the dial and then copy and paste the shape to make a smaller version. 


 














Step 41:
Now that I have the shapes I need next to the dial, I then need to add the moving effect. To do this I go to ‘Effect’, down to where it says ‘Blur’ and then across to ‘Gaussian Blur’. 




 












Step 42:
After clicking on the option I wish to use, a box then appears in which allows you to be able to select the radius of the blur. The radius that I have selected is 15.2 as this gives a nice gentle blur to the shapes and will ensure to give that moving effect that I want to have on the speedometer. 


 










Step 43:
I then do the same to the other shape. 




 










Step 44:
The speedometer has then been successfully created and is ready for later use on the DVD label. 


 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment